[mythtvnz] Re: Best type of splitter for Sky + MythTV DVB-S

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:28:25 +1300

Daniel Williams wrote:

> >Anyone know what "dual pol capable" means in practice? Does this mean
> the
> >one LNB is capable of passing both H and V pol signals simultaneously?
> > Anyone know what's required for "dual pol switching"?
>
> This is purely based on my experience from getting things working for
> me with the switch to D1, but its capable of tuning both H+V at the
> same time.
>
> I have both SKY + Myth working at the same time on the one LNB / Dish.
>
> My setup:
> Sky Dish + Dual Head LNB
> There is a splitter in the ceiling, which passes power on both ports.
> This was installed by sky.
> The mythbox wall outlet also has a splitter (this was a little future
> proofing for when I get the next DVB card), one port which is power
> pass, the others aren't.
> DVB Card : Skystar2
> Mythtv doesn't set any Disqec stuff, so it's just using the default
> 160E Lnb of the dual head. The other head is set for 156E, and won't
> pick up D1 AFAIK - it's there as a backup incase the sat that Sky uses
> dies like B1 did last year.
>
> When TVNZ was on B1:
>
> Mythtv was not plugged into the power passing port, worked fine, Sky +
> Myth co-existed nicely.
>
> When TVNZ moved to D1:
>
> Changed the polarity in Myth, mythtv still broken.
> Unplug SKY the sky decoder, mythtv still broken
> Changed mythtv to be plugged into the power pass port, Mythtv working
> (stupid me LNB needs some power).
>
> Now, I was intrigued what would happen if I plugged the Sky decoder
> back in, so I just did it (mentally thinking of the 'I have no idea
> how the decoder broke' line to use to Sky if the decoder died).
>
> To my surprise everything works. I did a little tinkering to find what
> combination worked for me, and only came up with one.
>
> In short -
> If both Mythtv + Sky are sending power to the LNB, then everything
> works fine.  There is a little flicker (<1sec) on sky reception when
> mythtv tunes the DVB card, but it is perfectly watchable on Sky +
> Mythtv AT THE SAME TIME.
Ok just did an install with a power pass splitter with Sky on the power
side and MythTV/myPVR on the other. That works as long as I only tune
Vertical channels.

Need to have a play with a splitter with dual power pass with a Sky Box.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz