[mythtvnz] Previously fine WiFi Frontend connection now having regular drop-outs. Common causes?

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:42:19 +1200

I'm getting full signal strength and haven't introduced any new
electronic devices into the house to cause this. However I did a bit
more searching on the web and came across a few tips, mostly on the
thread here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/180429?page=last

As I understand the default encoding bit rate for Myth recordings is
4500 Kbps and a realistic datarate for 802.11b wireless is 4Mbps (good
enough for video). I ran some network tests with iperf and could easily
sustain bandwidth of 5Mbps with  no drop-outs.

One tip suggested ramping down the transmission rate setting on the
access point router from the default  54 Mbps maximum to something
smaller to minimise packet loss as MythTV can't tolerate the time it
takes to do a
TCP retry/resend on bung packets. I set it to 36 Mbps and this seems to
have worked - no stuttering, no packet resend errors!

In case anyone else is struggling with this, some other things you can
try (which I haven't needed to) are:

1) Make sure the Myth server is connected by wire to the router. You
effectively halve your wireless bandwidth if you have frontends and
backends communicating wirelessly through a router.

2) If all your wireless devices don't support the same protocol don't
run a 'mixed' wireless network - this will slow the network down. Set
the router to support the baseline protocol all devices on the network
are capable of.

3) Try using an NFS mount for Myth recordings instead of relying on the
backend to stream them. There have been reports that the backend
streaming has significantly increased overhead compared to the frontend
playing directly from a file over NFS.