[mythtvnz] Booting prob on Setting up ALSA

Zane Gilmore mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:13:10 +1200

Hello there,
The other day I thought that I would try to get mplayer going on my
mythtv box.
It has never worked. I have only been able to play TV recordings but
this wasn't a problem but I thought it would be cool to be able to play
downloaded stuff.

Anyway after following a promising line involving recompiling it. I went
to run mplayer for the Nth time and watching it go into a deadlocked
unkillable state I rebooted.

All of a sudden The box won't boot!
It hangs after printing the line:
Setting up ALSA

After a bit of rummaging around with a boot disk and disabling the
alsa-utils in the bootup I managed to get it to boot into a good enough
state to form a theory of what may be causing the problems.

Every time I try to run the run-level script  alsa-utils with start or
stop the mixer seems to be causing problems with deadlocks as when I
attempted to reboot it locked up on trying to save mixer settings.
(alsactl also got deadlocked at one point).

Is there a possibility that the mplayer might have caused something to
leave the mixer system in some disarray?
If so how would I fix it?

sorry about the long post.

Regards,
Zane