[mythtvnz] Previously fine WiFi Frontend connection now having regular drop-outs. Common causes?

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:50:16 +1200

I'm been running a Myth frontend on a Mac iBook over WiFi (mixed
protocol, max of 802.11g) connecting to a Linux server and, to date,
have had no problem playing back recordings. Since I installed the
system about four months ago it could handle the format fine but in the
last couple of weeks I get frequent "NVP: prebuffering pause" errors and
choppy playback. Playback on the server machine (which also runs a
frontend) is fine.

I was running at 99% disk usage so I freed up about 30% - no difference.
I tried mucking with the WiFi settings (network robustness, channels
etc.) - no difference. The server box is not under load (i.e. playing
video, transcoding, ad detecting or othewise).

I found the info below a short while ago (troubleshooting page for a
Gentoo installation) and will try it out when I get home. But as this
problem has only recently emerged and as I am not using Hauppage cards
(I have two Skystar2s) I'm not holding my breath.  Frustrating - I know
the network can handle the bandwidth but now, for some, reason it can't!

Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem and had a fix or
does anyone know what sort of data/sec rate I need to sustain to play
back a default quality recording? Any other troubleshooting things I
should check?

I know WiFi networks can be fickle but our house is a reasonable
distance from possible sources of interference and no new transmitting
devices have been added recently. The topology is a LinksysWRT56G with
an Apple Airport Express acting as a relay (and into which the server
box is plugged).

Gentoo tip - choppy playback
Jerky video on Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 cards. If your Live TV video is
playing jerky (i.e. running too fast, then stopping every 1-2 seconds)
and you keep getting "prebuffering pause" errors in the console, try
adjusting the video format in the recording profiles. The default format
used in all of my installation's profiles was set to 480x480, which
might be suitable for NTSC regions. But I'm using a PAL version of the
PVR-250 which obviously doesn't like this setting. After changing the
format to 720x576, all problems just vanished: watching and recording tv
in MythTV are now working perfectly.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers,
Matt