[mythtvnz] Tuning FreeView - can't lock transponder and FRONTEND DEVICE busy?

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:17:16 +1200

Bob wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007 20:46, Craig Whitmore wrote:
>
>>> Getting frontend event
>>> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
>>> FE_HAS_SYNC
>>> Event:  Frequency: 11756000
>>>        SymbolRate: 22500000
>>>        FEC_inner:  3
>>>
>>> Bit error rate: 0
>>> Signal strength: 62208
>>> SNR: 62495
>>> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
>>> FE_HAS_SYNC
>>> frontend: 8FRONTEND DEVICE: : Device or resource busy
>>>
>> This is normal with one of these cards. (the drivers are a little bugy)
>>
>> :-(  Don't fret.. just continue. the 8FRONTEND DEVICE: : Device or resource
>>
>> busy is just a bug in the drivers and actually means you have locked into a
>> correct freq.
>>

> Thanks, Craig.  That certainly seems to be the case with the FRONTEND DEVICE
> error, but... I still don't know why I'm not getting a signal from the TVNZ
> transponder.
>
> # dvbtune -f 1156000 -s 22500 -p h -m 2> /dev/null &

Ok 12483 H is the TVNZ transponder and you need to make sure the skew is
correct on your LNB for this one to work. It appears that there is a
strong uplink on 12483V which will knock out reception if your skew is
wrong.

Do you have a sat meter/finder. Ideally you can use 12456H to get the
correct skew at which point 12483 should give you a signal.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz