[mythtvnz] Tuning FreeView - can't lock transponder and FRONTEND DEVICE busy?

Bob mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:05:39 +1200

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 08:17, Steven Ellis wrote:
> >> :-( =A0Don't fret.. just continue. the 8FRONTEND DEVICE: : Device or
> >> : resource
> >>
> >> busy is just a bug in the drivers and actually means you have locked
> >> into a correct freq.
> >> =A0 =A0
> >
> > Thanks, Craig. =A0That certainly seems to be the case with the FRONTEND
> > DEVICE error, but... I still don't know why I'm not getting a signal fr=
om
> > the TVNZ transponder.
> >
> > # dvbtune -f 1156000 -s 22500 -p h -m 2> /dev/null &
> >
> > =A0
>
> Ok 12483 H is the TVNZ transponder and you need to make sure the skew is
> correct on your LNB for this one to work. It appears that there is a
> strong uplink on 12483V which will knock out reception if your skew is
> wrong.

Just to clarify (and expose my ignorance)... skew is the rotational alignme=
nt=20
of the LNB relative to the rest of the dish, right?

> Do you have a sat meter/finder.

Nope.

> Ideally you can use 12456H to get the=20
> correct skew at which point 12483 should give you a signal.

Ok.  I'm guessing my general dish alignment is good based on the signals fr=
om=20
the Sky/TV3 etc transponders:
Signal strength: 62208
SNR: 64401

So I should be able to scurry up on the roof and rotate the LNB from two=20
extremes until I lock on to 12483 then bisect the angle and tighten the=20
screws?  Then verify that I'm getting the other transponders at the same or=
=20
better signal strength.

Cheers
Bob