[mythtvnz] M-ITX cases: any with IR?

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 1 May 2006 17:42:14 +1200

>Hi there
>
>I am looking at building a mythtv diskless frontend based on the VIA
>EPIA-M10000 motherboard, and the one thing missing is the remote
>control! I can't find a case that comes with IR, and the TV card I have
>(Hauppauge 150) has an external USB-based one which doesn't really fit
>the aesthetic feel I'm after...
>
>Any suggestions? If it's "get thee a drill!", what's a good IR control
>that would fit the bill.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jason
>
>PS: anyone else done a VIA frontend? If so, can you *really* get by
>without any fans? I want a frontend that looks like it should live in
>the AV arena: so whirring fans should be a no-no.

I've got a M10K in a Serenity case, but I replaced the built in power
supply with an external brick and a DC-DC converter.  Only fan left
is the CPU fan, and the machine runs pretty warm since there is
nothing to move the heat out of the case - I even left half the back
open and it's still warm.  This is a f/e with out any tuner cards (or
PCI cards for that matter).

As far as IR, I went with a StreamZap USB remote.  I'd probably stick
with your Hauppauge and be done with it.  8)

  - Wade