[mythtvnz] M-ITX cases: any with IR?

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 01 May 2006 17:11:06 +1200

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 16:34 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am looking at building a mythtv diskless frontend based on the VIA
> EPIA-M10000 motherboard, and the one thing missing is the remote
> control! I can't find a case that comes with IR, and the TV card I have
> (Hauppauge 150) has an external USB-based one which doesn't really fit
> the aesthetic feel I'm after...
>
> Any suggestions? If it's "get thee a drill!", what's a good IR control
> that would fit the bill.

Gee thee a drill!

I made an IR receiver for about $5 worth of parts.  I took the plastic
filter off an old remote control and stuck that on the front of my case
to cover the receiver.  It fits in quite nicely on the case, and you
have to look pretty closely to know it isn't original.

I plug the receiver directly onto the serial port headers on the M/B, so
no cables going out the back of the case either.

(Okay, my case is an old 80s CD player, but still...)

> PS: anyone else done a VIA frontend? If so, can you *really* get by
> without any fans? I want a frontend that looks like it should live in
> the AV arena: so whirring fans should be a no-no.

I have a 120mm fan on the top of my EPIA-M10k.  Currently it is pretty
noisy.  I need to drill some more air vents on it, and maybe then it'll
be quiet...

--
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz       |  This space intentionally