[mythtvnz] Re: EPG data on hairy.geek.nz

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:18:23 +1200

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:48:29 +1200
Sam Hadley-Jones wrote:

> How about a central public read-only MySQL database instead? When you
> think about it, it'd cut down on traffic a lot and it saves setting up
> mythfilldatabase. Would have to have consistent uptime though. Anyone
> think this is possible or am I just plucking?

Do you mean that whenever we brought up the EPG im myth it would go
offsite to a cntralised mysql server?

The difficulties IMHO outweigh the advantages:

1. speed (or lack thereof)

2. everything in mythtv is stored in the mysql database, not just the
EPG. I don't think there is currently any way of saying to mythtv "look
up my local network settings on localhost, but look up the epg on
another server".

3. uptime of both your own internet connection (adsl up and down all the time at my place), and the server's

4. single point of failure.

OTOH if you are talking about synchronising a central mysql server with
your local box, that still has problems. In fact it is the reason the
xmltv format was invented I guess.

mr.geek had a simple script that downloaded either the full sky listing,
or just the FTA stuff. It cannot be that hard.

If you want a system that is fully configurable as to channels
downloaded, and has info on "genre" included, see xmltvnz at
http://www.reven.co.nz . It is a c# screenscraper and works under linux
(using mono) or windows. It is actively developed as various websites
change their formats. It is however a little slow and a bit heavy on
memory usage.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>