[mythtvnz] How do I get a PVR150 to talk to my TelstraClear/Saturn cable box?

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:13:20 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi,
>
> I am using KnoppixMyth R5C7 and have a PVR150 with the remote and IR
> transmitter and receiver.
>
> My TelstraClear/Saturn decoder is connected to the Composite video +L/R
> sound inputs on the PVR150.
>
> I have setup MythTV to use composite-0, and I have used mythfilldatabase
> to load 10 days of data (thanks to www.reven.co.nz).  During setup I
> told it that I have a hauppauge remote and selected 'd' when asked which
> one it was.

I'd recommend the s-video input if the TelstraCLear/Saturn has an output
of this flavour. I get a slightly sharper picture from my Sky box using
it.

> BUT, how do I setup LIRC to be able to send out the correct ircodes to
> the TelstraCLear/Saturn decoder box?
> AND, how do I get MythTV to recognise the Hauppauge remote so I can use
> it via MythTV to change the channels???

Two things here:
1. Find a lircd.conf file for the Saturn remote control - you'll be
emulating the thing with an IR blaster so you'll need the codes. It may be
on the lirc site (not checked) but its easy enough to 'learn' a set if you
have an IR receiver. I drive my Sky IR blaster from the motherboard
internal serial port header (and hence the serial driver) and added a
3.5mm jack on the case for the IR blaster LED to plug into. See if the
Saturn remote has any reference numbers on it that tie in with anything o
the lirc site.

2. You don't say which PVR-150 you have! There are several types. I have
the 150mce retail which uses a rc6 remote and a USB receiver. It uses the
mceusb2 driver. The lircd.conf file for it IS on the lirc web site and you
just need to cocatenate the file with the Saturn one. If you have the
non-mce remote then you'll have a standard IR receiver that plug into the
card (I think).

One bug with the above is that you won't be able to use the usb receiver
to learn the Saturn remote codes, you'll need a 'standard' receiver. A
simple design is on the lirc site - I'm sure someone here will have a code
list though.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks