[mythtvnz] Minimum specs for PVR

Jason Haar mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:17:22 +1200

Steve Biddle wrote:
> Are any of the Via Mini ITX boards with onboard TV out any good with MythTV?
> Are these boards powerful enough to do a good job? What speed Via processor
> would I ideally need for a usable system or am I better looking at something
> else such as a P4/Celeron ITX board?

I am currently experimenting with a loaner SP13000 with intent to buy. I
am running "minimyth" which is a 90M MythTV distro(!!!). I'm running it
diskless, via PXE-boot (and NFS) from a central server with 200G
allocated diskspace. I'm running it over 100M Ethernet - but even over
802.11g wireless it works 99% of the time (wireless tends to be not as
consistent as Ethernet - especially when your card decides it has to
drop the Access Point and reconnect). In fact I've my wife (Mac), my
laptop (FC4) and this minimyth frontend all going simultaneously ;-)

Performance wise, video is great. However, I don't like the fan noise
(hence my earlier question on sourcing fanless EPIA). They're not
"noisy", but they are noticeable. However, I can't get the soundcard to
work on it at the moment - I think it's a hardware problem as Knoppix
boot-CD can't even successfully say the "Knoppix has finished booting"
thing it does.

There: more information than you required ;-)

Jason