[mythtvnz] EPG/source questions

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:20:51 +1200

On 7/24/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz@hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> >1) How do I setup the sources/channels so that the common channels are
> >available on either card and are recognised as such by Myth so that it will
> >automatically record a program on which ever card is available (as opposed
> >to thinking that TVone analog is a different channel to TVone DVB-S?
>
> The key thing is having the callsigns the same between the channels.
> If the same program is available on two channels, and each channel
> has the same callsign then it's the same program, and the scheduler
> will use which ever card is available (lowest cardID first, but you
> can set card priority in mythtv-setup)

You probably want to make sure they have the same channel numbers as
well so that those channels only show up once in the MythTV EPG.

> I don't use the DVB-S EPG, I use the normal EPG.
> Personally I grab the xml file using a script and tv_grab_dvb (based
> on the info from pvr.geek.nz).

That is the DVB-S EPG. I think you mean you don't use MythTV's EIT stuff.

> Other option is to run mythfilldatabase twice in a row to populate
> the 2 different channel lineups (1 per card)
>
> mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 latestlistings.xml
> mythfilldatabase --file 2 -1 latestlistings.xml

That's what I do, using the EPG data from one of the Sky transponders.

One trap for the unwary: be careful using a mixture of EPG data loaded
by mythfulldatabase and by MythTV's builtin EIT scanner. I've found
that TVNZ's EPG data is sometimes slightly different from Sky's EPG
data for the TVNZ channels. If a channel has one source of data on one
tuner and a different source of data on a different tuner MythTV might
not be able to schedule a particular show on a particular tuner
(because the name in the recording schedule is different to the name
in the EPG data for that tuner). I noticed this  a lot during the
Winter Olympics. Now I just use Sky's data for all channels.

Steve