[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:59:16 +1300

David Zanetti wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 13:18 +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> On 2/25/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It has been in testing for over 6 months already. Did anyone else see
>>> the article on the from of todays Herald about Digital TV. Shame is they
>>> should be up and running in months, and not some point next year.
>>>
>> I saw it. Annoyingly light on details. They didn't even say if they
>> were looking at DVB-S or DVB-T or both.
>>

> Both. DVB-T is coming, whether it's better or worse than DVB-S won't
> matter. That includes little details like the inevitable poor DVB-T
> coverage possible, given it just cannot get the footprint DVB-S can.
>
> DVB-S will still be a supported platform, but it's very unclear which
> will be used for additional content above and beyond the basic stuff.
>
> Also, it'll be testing for a lot longer yet. Issues yet to be resolved
> include local content providers being strongly opposed to 16:9 and HD,
> and the overall goals of the Freeview platform in general.

All of the new studio and editing kit TVNZ are getting is HD. Also i've
heard that the HW companies they have been talking to for boxes can
supply HD Decoders for pretty much the same price as SD. The
manufacturers are putting the pressure on to go straight to HD.

Problem is TVNZ wants to play with interactive TV which has always been
somewhat lacking elsewhere in the world. Most people don't want it.

> Right now, it's only looking good for the most minimal digital TV
> transition possible - and IMO only because you won't be able to buy an
> analog TV soon. :|

Quite right. Plus all of those lovely widescreen LCDs and plasmas with
no Widescreen content.

Steve