[mythtvnz] DVB-S and channel numbers

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:47:16 +1300

>So how is everyone mapping their DVB-S channels. Need to work out a
>reasonably logical way to deal with them that will make sense to the
>average consumer.
>
>Typical situations are
>
>1. Terrestrial + DVB-S FTA
>2. Terrestrial + Sky + DVB-S FTA
>3. Sky + DVB-S FTA
>
>The most unusual setup at present is DVB-S FTA only, and will remain so
>until additional services launch.
>
>So what is a reasonable channel -> number mapping to deal with these
>situations.
>
>1. Number sharing
>
>This causes problems with MythWeb and confuses people when they want to
>force a program to a particular input.
>
>2. Number sharing + identifier
>
>EG.
>"1" for TVOne off Sky
>"1t" for TVOne terrestrial
>"1s" for TVOne off DVB-S
>
>This still is confusing, and causes issues with channel ordering.
>
>3. Distinct number blocks
>
>SkyTV = 1-120
>Terrestrial = 201-210
>DVB-S = 301-
>DVB-S (Radio) = 401-
>
>So what are your thoughts on this.
>
>Also how many of you configure a logical channel that spans multiple
>inputs, for example TVOne is the same EPG stream for Sky + Terrestrial +
>DVB-S and you leave MythTV to decide which input to use.
>
>Steve

My system is Setup 2 (Terrestrial + Sky + DVD-S FTA - PVR150/PVR350/SkyStar)

I've actually gone with a mixture of 1 and 2.  The DVB-S and
Terrestrial share the same numbers/callsign while the Sky overlaps
have no channum and the callsign is OneSky, etc.  I've also set the
Sky versions to be not visible.

I don't manually force MythTV to use a particular input, I figure it
knows best.  8) But I have configured my inputs so that the DVB-S has
priority +2, then the analog (One-C4) +1,  the Sky input is 0.

This way TV1 and TV2 are normally recorded off DVB, 3 or C4 come off
PVR150 (or One/TV2 in case of conflicts), and PVR350 for the Sky only
channels (or One-C4 if there are 3 Terrestrial shows on
simultaneously - pretty damn rare).  I can't get Prime without using
the Sky box, otherwise I'd add that to the analog mix.

  - Wade