[mythtvnz] Nvidia TV out overscan

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:30:00 +1300

Hadley Rich wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I found some time to play with my setup this afternoon and discovered
> something that may be useful for the list archives.
>
> I have a Nvidia FX5600 using S-Video out to a 32" widescreen CRT and up until
> today had a little underscan in X.
>
> I'd briefly played with the TVOverScan option in xorg.conf when I set the box
> up but couldn't get enough overscan to completely satisfy me.
>
> Today I was playing in the nvidia-settings utility and discovered that the
> overscan slider there allows for more adjustmen than the xorg.conf setting.
>
> I now call `nvidia-config --load-config-only` in my xinitrc which sorts the
> problem very nicely.

Yes its great. The standard profile I load for myPVR runs nvidia-config
on startup and sets overscan for CRT screens.

> Hopefully this helps someone sometime. Now the only thing left for me to
> investigate is the dreaded prebuffering pause issue, but that's not bad and
> can wait a little longer.
>
> As an aside, I had the chance to setup a Myth box on a 50" HD plasma the other
> day, it went quite well and looks very nice.

How were you connecting, and what did you set the resolution to. 720p
seems ok, but 1080p/1080i needs a decent amount of RAM.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz