[mythtvnz] Cabling my house

Toby Mills mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:26:25 +1200

>I just want to try and guages peoples opinions here.  I'm going to =
cable up
my house soon (both network and RG6 for video), and with the impending
arrival >of digital TV, should I run additional RG6 cable?

Cable is cheaper than plaster and paint.
I would run a pair of RG6 cables, two cat 5, plenty of good speaker =
cables
and an audio signal cable to each socket just in case.
Run it all back to a patch bay in the roof or something, I put a patch =
bay
in my kitchen with a glass window so I can stare at all the blinkin =
lights
while I'm having my breakfast :)

While your at it I would recommend running some signal cables to all =
your
light switch sockets as well to future proof for any home automation
projects, a pair of cat 5 cables to each socket should cover most bases =
as
you can use some of the pairs for low voltage signal or most of the =
digital
lighting control systems on the market.

The opportunity to run cables through walls doesn't come along very =
often so
I would highly recommend going towards the overkill end of the spectrum.

Cheers
Toby
www.np.co.nz