[mythtvnz] Cabling my house

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:52:21 +1200

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 20:26 +1200, Toby Mills wrote:
> >I just want to try and guages peoples opinions here.  I'm going to cable up
> my house soon (both network and RG6 for video), and with the impending
> arrival >of digital TV, should I run additional RG6 cable?
>
> Cable is cheaper than plaster and paint.
> I would run a pair of RG6 cables, two cat 5, plenty of good speaker cables
> and an audio signal cable to each socket just in case.
> Run it all back to a patch bay in the roof or something, I put a patch bay
> in my kitchen with a glass window so I can stare at all the blinkin lights
> while I'm having my breakfast :)

Heh.  My current plan is 3 runs of Cat 5e to every panel, only 2 will be
terminated on RJ45's.  The other will be left unterminated (in case I
want phone or something else).  Some speaker cables will be run to
suitable locations (left, right and center in the lounge, B set to the
family room).  I thought thought about the audio signal cable...  I am
thinking about running balanced audio from the server to a few locations
for the jukebox feed.

My thoughts had been more towards two RG6 runs to each location...

The patch panel will be in the study wardrobe in my case.  The roof is a
pain to get into...

> While your at it I would recommend running some signal cables to all your
> light switch sockets as well to future proof for any home automation
> projects, a pair of cat 5 cables to each socket should cover most bases as
> you can use some of the pairs for low voltage signal or most of the digital
> lighting control systems on the market.
>
> The opportunity to run cables through walls doesn't come along very often so
> I would highly recommend going towards the overkill end of the spectrum.

My plan is only to drill up from under the floor into the wall cavity.
I won't be removing (too much) gib.  So while it is a good idea to run
signal cables (and if I have the oppurtunity to do so in the future I
will), I won't run it this time.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Ruthven