[mythtvnz] DVB-S Setup?

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:23:42 +1300

--=-ThM5wt4944qMXTbtcPjp

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:58 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then=20
> tried the 12456 Freq.
> Trying -p h made no difference initially.
>=20
> The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?

Yes.

> What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error=20
> rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it=20
> will now have a very low error rate.  And doing a scan -c ,with the=20
> low error rate, works as well.  So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the=20
> frequency.

Hmm.. strange. That's going to be interesting to get going with MythTV
then, I think it tends to assume it tunes on the first shot.

> Now I'm stuck on the EPG.  From=20
> http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line=20
> at a time to see what it's doing.
>=20
> When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an
>=20
> # tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml
>=20
> DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
> ./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.
>=20
> I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for=20
> the life of me...

The card has to be open and tuned when you run tv_grab_dvb. The & on the
end of dvbstream is critical.

I'd leave dvbstream running in another window if you're doing it by
hand.

Also, MythTV will soon have an integrated DVB EPG data parser that
doesn't require anything being run at all, just tick the channel as one
you want guide data for, and it'll gather it entirely in the background.
No more silly scripts :)

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration