[mythtvnz] DVB-S Setup?

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:58:09 +1300

>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:15 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>>  I'm trying to follow the info on http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/DVB-S_Setup
>>  I've got a TechniSat SkyStar 2 pci card and if I do
>>
>  > # dvbtune -f 1183000 -s 22500 -p v -m
>>
>>  I get the same basic output as listed on the wiki. So far so good.
>>
>>  But when I get to the scan -c I get:
>>
>>  # scan -c
>>  using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
>>  WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0011
>>  WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
>>  dumping lists (0 services)
>>  Done.
>
>Tends to suggest it's not tuned quite right. I had a lot of problems
>getting real services on the appartment-shared Sky feed, in the end, I
>have to use -p h (horizontal polarity) before it would behave.
>
>Just a thought, try -p h, see where it gets you.
>
>Have you tried other transponders? What's the error rates for tuned
>transponders? >512 is bad.
>
>--
>David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
>Team Leader, Systems Administration
>Catalyst IT Limited
>+64-4-8032233 +64-21-402260

Thanks David.

With your prompting, I checked out the Lyngsat Optus site, and then
tried the 12456 Freq.
Trying -p h made no difference initially.

The error rate you refer to is the Bit error rate, right?

What I have figured out is that if I run dvbtune and get a high error
rate, let it run for a few seconds, kill it, then run it again, it
will now have a very low error rate.  And doing a scan -c ,with the
low error rate, works as well.  So I can use 12456 or 12483 for the
frequency.

Now I'm stuck on the EPG.  From
http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Listings I running the script one line
at a time to see what it's doing.

When I do the tv_grab_dvb bit I get an

# tv_grab_dvb -s -o 12 > /tmp/listings-$$.xml

DMX_SET_FILTER:: Invalid argument
./tv_grab_dvb: Unable to get event data from multiplex.

I think I must have missed something, but I can't figure it out for
the life of me...

- Wade