[LUUG Publicity] LUUG Thurs 25th: Dave Raggett on the multi-modal web

Andrew Findlay andrew.findlay@skills-1st.co.uk
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:16:58 +0100

    			The LUUG Lectures

    		  UKUUG - London Unix User Group

    Thursday 25th September 2003, 19:15

    Emerging standards for voice and multimodal interaction on the Web
    Dr Dave Raggett (W3C)

    The talk follows the UKUUG AGM which starts at 18:15

    Lecture theatre 2, Cruciform Building, University College London,
    Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT

    This talk will present W3C's work on developing standards for
    expanding the means by which people interact with the Web. W3C's
    Speech Interface Framework is aimed at the 2 billion phones world
    wide, allowing people to use spoken commands and key pads for input
    and to listen to prerecorded speech, synthetic speech and music
    for output. W3C's work in this area is bringing Web technology to
    call centers.

    Not content with that, we are also working on giving people the
    choice of which modes or which combination of modes they wish to
    use for interaction. Today, we are used to clicking on links, and
    dragging the scroll bar to browse through documents. With multimodal,
    you get the ability to use spoken commands in place of clicking,
    or typing, or writing with an electronic pen. These modes can be
    used as alternatives or used together, for instance when you combine
    speech with pen gestures like tapping, circling or drawing arrows.

    If you are in a quiet restaurant or a noisy room then speech isn't
    such a good idea, but when you want to keep your hands and eyes
    free, then speech is really useful. We use our eyes and hands to
    interact with the Web, and our ears and mouth to interact via the
    phone. Bringing these together has a lot of appeal. Work on the W3C
    Multimodal Interaction Framework is still at an early stage.

    http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett

    After the talk we will probably look for food in a nearby restaurant
    (the Spaghetti House in Goodge Street is most likely)