[LUUG Publicity] LUUG Thurs 26th June: Cross-platform GUI development with WxWindows

Andrew Findlay afindlay@ukuug.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:05:34 +0100

    			The LUUG Lectures

    		  UKUUG - London Unix User Group

    Thursday 26th June 2003, 19:00

    Small Lecture Theatre, University of Westminster,
    New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6UW

    Cross-Platform GUI Development with WxWindows

    Simon Myers
    GBdirect

    The Mac has a GUI. Windows has a GUI. Linux has many GUIs. But all
    these GUIs are incompatible, both programmatically and in what users
    encounter on their screens. This is a problem for developers who
    wish to make applications available on multiple platforms, or who
    merely have a hankering that they may wish to do so at some point
    in the future. WxWindows is an attempt to resolve these issues.

    This talk shows what WxWindows does and how it can be used. It
    is compared with alternative technologies, discussing advantages
    and disadvantages. For example Mozilla attempts to solve the
    cross-platform problem with XUL, which has the advantage that Mozilla
    looks pretty much the same on all platforms, but the disadvantage that
    on any platform Mozilla sticks out decidedly from that platform's
    other apps. A WxWindows program, on the other hand, will look
    different in each environment, in its chameleon-like attempt to fit
    in with its surroundings. As a Linux developer WxWindows allows you
    to develop GUI apps that will run under Windows while you remain
    in your comfortable Linux surroundings. Or you can write a program
    for use on Windows now, safe in the knowledge that it can be used
    on Linux later if needed.

    NOTE THE NEW VENUE!

    For maps, see the Westminster website:
	http://www.westminster.ac.uk/static/maps.asp

    or Streetmap:
	http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=529135&Y=181852&A=Y&Z=1

    After the talk we will probably look for food in a nearby restaurant
    (the Spaghetti House in Goodge Street is most likely)