[IEE EC3 News] IEE EC3 Lecture reminder

Bill Pechey bpechey@cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:22 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Dear Colleague,

You are being sent this reminder message because either you gave your email
address at one of our previous lectures or you signed up on the web site associated
with this email list (http://www.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/iee-ec3-news).

I have appended the details of our next lecture and hope to see you there.

Details of our other lectures may be found at -
http://www.cyber.rdg.ac.uk/people/R.Mitchell/ec3/lectures.htm

Best wishes,

Bill Pechey
Vice-chairman, EC3

Digital Radio Mondiale
Andreas Giefer
BBC Research & Development
Thursday 28th March 2002 at 19:30
Edward Court Hotel, Wellington Road, Wokingham

Light refreshments available from 19:00-19:30

Synopsis
In September 2001, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI)
published the specification of the Digital Radio Mondiale System (DRM). It is a
system which is designed to put broadcasters into the position of transmitting digital
radio signals on frequencies below 30 MHz - long-wave, medium-wave and
short-wave. Combining the advantage of the long range of these radio waves on
the one hand with the benefits of digital signal processing on the other hand, it
improves considerably on conventional AM radio - both in terms of audio quality and
usability.

The seminar will describe the system itself and illustrate its features and possibilities
using audio material that was recorded during the extensive field trials phase which
is currently under way - to allow for the first regular DRM transmissions in 2003.

If you want to know more, come along. Everyone is welcome and no ticket is
needed. Simply turn up on the night.

For more details please contact Dr Richard Mitchell at rjmitchell@iee.org

Directions:From Wokingham Railway Station turn right, and the hotel is a 3 minute
walk along Wellington Road. Entrance is through the car park to the rear of the
hotel. Details of the hotel can be found at
http://www.theaa.com/hotels/103681.html and a map at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=RG402AN&Z=1