[GNUz] GNUz Out with Ubuntu and in with GNU/.....?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:35:23 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Don Gould <don at bowenvale.co.nz> wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
> > I still think its ironic that if the firmware were built in to the
> > device (hardwired or burned into PROM or otherwise not user upgradeable)
> > it wouldn't be an issue for rms, but the fact it is uploaded from the
> > computer into the peripheral device does make it an issue. It seems to
> > me that taking rms' arguments to their logical conclusion then our
> > hardware and firmware has to be Libre too, otherwise we get stuck with
> > "Trusted Computing".
>
> Trusted computing doesn't sound like something that's good, assuming I
> understand the term correctly.
>
> I have often looked and the insides of something that thought "I wonder
> what that's actually doing".

from trusted computing wikipedia page

"With Trusted Computing the computer will consistently behave in specific
ways, and those behaviors will be enforced by hardware and software.
Enforcing this Trusted behavior is achieved by loading the hardware with a
unique ID and unique master key and denying even the owner of a computer
knowledge and control of their own master key. Trusted Computing is
extremely controversial as the hardware is not merely secured for the owner;
enforcing Trusted behavior means it is secured against the owner as well."

I did show the short movie found here:

http://www.lafkon.net/tc/

at a meeting some time ago. Worth a look if you have forgotten or didn't see
it.

> > I appreciate the need to draw a line,
>
> Yes.  After Saturday I don't actually feel quite so bad about running
> Windows on my laptop any more.

Then I think you got the wrong message.

> I feel a bit like a "3 pack a day" smoker who has cut back to 1 pack a
> week.
>
> > and (if I understand him
> > correctly) rms has drawn it somewhere between uploadable firmware and
> > fixed firmware. But to my mind his line is practical but not necessarily
> > logical.
>
> > There are moves towards libre hardware solutions:
> >
> > 1.  I am aware of the attempted development of an open video card.
> >
> > 2.  Beagleboard is an interesting project:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/beagleboard-149-linux-system
> >
> > See here for a fuller list:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
>
> Thanks Nick, those were some good links.
>
> Anyone know how open the OpenMoko phone project is?

Very I believe. there are schematics of the designs on their website. Of
course having a manufacturing plant capable of building a microelectronics
device like that is another matter. So is sourcing parts at a good price
unless you are buying 10k+ pf them.

Still with a soldering iron and a bit of patience we might be able to build
one small enough to carry round in a car :-)

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware