[GNUz] RMS Talk - Thanks Rik and co... where to now?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Mon Aug 18 13:04:24 BST 2008

Richard thanks for the unexpected response.

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     Frankly I don't know where to start with what I heard today.
>
> One way to start would be to rename the mailing list
> to gnu-linux-users.

I posted to both the GNUz and CLUG list.

The question has been pushed on the CLUG list a number of times by Rik.

> I doubt many of the discussions are
> really about Linux alone, or that many of the people on the
> list use Linux other than in the GNU system.  It won't take
> much effort to recognize us here, so how about it?

Frankly after what you had to say about LT in your presentation I don't
really agree with you.

Why should we recognise linux? :) :) :)

I don't ask people if they're running Microsoft Windows on their
computer.  I ask them if they're running 'windows'.

I used to ask if they'd used Linux.  I think I'll just ask them if
they're running "GNU's" now :)

>     I've already spent 3 hours talking with my wife and father about the
>     issues and am no further ahead.
>
> I suggest you not knock your head against the wall trying to convince
> a person who isn't willing to consider the issue.  Instead, find
> someone else who does listen.  That is more efficient.

Sorry, my bad!  I'm not fighting to convince anyone that FS is good.

My dad came with me to the presentation.  He even took notes!

We had a very interesting conversation about his recent problems with
his computer.  Everytime he turned it on it would attempt to download
updates for something, which would then cause it to crash.  He had to
pay almost half the cost of a new computer to get someone to sort it out.

He really took on board what you had to say about 'automatic downloads'
that can't be verified.

When I said that I was no further ahead after 3 hours I meant that the
conversation had made me realise more about how far behind I am.

Jo (wife) and I use quite a bit of GPL software.

Firefox and thunderbird.  Joomla for all web sites.  GNU/Linu. on
servers.  Php for dynamic web sites.

This year we've added Inkscape.

See www.thinkdesignprint.co.nz.  We've been growing our own digital
printing business.

We use Xerox equipment (yes, I now, an old nemesis) and are constrained
in what we can do.

I don't personally understand GNU/Lin.. well enough.  I don't know how
to set up our DC1250 to work with Linux.

I have been using all my spare energy to learn to program in PHP with
MySQL properly.

Unlearning 15 years of Microsoft VB, Access, SQLServer and ASP
programming takes time.  I am one of those children you talked about who
was feed drugs at an early age.

> The best way to influence your wife could be by example.

 > If you
> switch to GNU/Linux on the computers you normally use at home,

As I expressed below, there just doesn't seem to be GPL software yet
that will work on my computers.

and
> treat any machines with non-free systems as solely her business, you
> will have escaped from non-free software; you can then leave the
> invitatin open for her to follow you, without insisting or arguing.

We are both power computer users.

If our requirements were as simple as my parents then I think we would
have both made the switch years ago.  My bother has.... errr... he uses
Ubuntu.

You talked in your presentation about the pile of programs you had to
convert when you started.

I confess I feel overwhelmed and disillusioned by the mountain of
learning that I have to replace to transition to GNU.

>     I've said it before that I just think is a mockery that HP sponsor so
>     many open source web sites with banner ads about how wonderful their
>     products are yet every time I try to use GNU/Linux on a machine I run
>     aground.
>
> That is why they promote open source, rather than free software.  They
> do not want to imply that there is anything wrong with their current
> policies.  The ideas of open source were chosen NOT to imply that
> there's anything wrong with proprietary software.

However in my personal experience they don't even deliver on Open Source
either.

If I want it to go in to a low power mode when I shut the lid, on my
last HP laptop, I had to run Microsoft Windows.

If I wanted the wireless to work I had to run the Microsoft Windows
drivers even in GNU/..... (with NDisWrapper)

*I want to know how I get HP to put energy into delivering GPL code for
their products.*

I'm sick of having to fight to get my laptop to function properly just
because I choose to use GPL software.

> This is precisely why I take pains to promote free/libre software
> rather than open source.

...and thank you for going to those pains even if you did leave me with
the felling that I'm currently locked up in a world of non-freedom.

Cheers Don