[GNUz] RMS update

Blair Bonnett bcb22 at student.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Aug 8 01:05:52 BST 2008

Rik Tindall wrote:
> <snip>
> It was a special request for our circumstances. However,
>
> Re: Topic: Computers, GNU, and Free Culture.
>
>    CC to RMS: can Richard please confirm this topic - an amalgamated
> theme,    for an amalgamated public and university audience - as
> suitable?
>
> RMS has said:
>
> "I have rarely done it, but I will give it a try."
>
> On reflection, it's quite like the "Copyright.." theme - you could use
> that.
> Or write to rms AT gnu DOT org for clarification?
>
> Cheers, Rik

(Tim - If the GNUZ list doesn't let this through, can you please forward
it on?)

I've just submitted the following notice about the talk to Canta (the UC
student magazine) which will be printed in next Wednesdays edition. From
what I can tell from the title and the abstracts on the site I think the
description should be fairly accurate. I'll also use this notice as the
basis of some posters which should be stuck up around campus in the next
few days. If anybody has any corrections we could probably sweet-talk
the editor of Canta into making some changes in the next couple of days,
or any further suggestions for the posters would be gratefully accepted
(as it stands, the notice is at the word limit we were given so we can't
really add anything to it).

We will also need to update the website ASAP so people visiting it for
further details actually get further details as opposed to an
out-of-date page...

Blair

*
RMS On Campus
*

Richard Stallman is the founder of the Free Software Foundation and a
pioneer of the concept of copyleft - the idea that the recipient of a
piece of work, be it software or otherwise, should have the ability to
copy, share and modify the work to improve it for all. He also set up
the GNU project to develop a completely free operating system which came
to fruition in the GNU/Linux operating system widely used today, and was
the instigator of numerous programs including Emacs, the GNU Compiler
Collection and the GNU Debugger.

Since the mid-1990s he has spent most of his time advocating free
software and related topics and as such is a widely requested speaker.
Richard will be presenting a talk entitled "Computers, GNU, and Free
Culture" in lecture theatre A1 this Saturday at 2pm which will be
followed by a question and answer session. This will cover the problems
with the current copyright system and changes needed to promote progress
in the digital age, along with the goals and philosophy of the Free
Software movement.

The talk is free and open to everybody with no bookings required. For
further details see www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/freeculture