[GNUz] Re: [GNUz] “GNU”, “L inux”, or neither...?

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:58:56 +1200

On 03/04/07, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> An interesting discussion on how much GNU actually does contribute to a
> distro.
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_neither

The article, and the discussions below it, seem to reinforce my belief
that while the technical contribution from the GNU Project was very
large in the past, its relative importance is decreasing.

It seems to me that the FSF and the GNU GPL are far more important
influences :-)

Even so, I don't think that anyone has a "Linux" distribution that
isn't compiled using the GNU toolchain. I suspect that some of the
BSDs may have an alternative, but I haven't done any research on that
point.

-jim