[GNUz] Re: [GNUz] “GNU”, “Linux”, or neither...?

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:58:01 +1200

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 10:58, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> On 03/04/07, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > An interesting discussion on how much GNU actually does contribute to a
> > distro.
> >
> > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_neither
>
> The article, and the discussions below it, seem to reinforce my belief
> that while the technical contribution from the GNU Project was very
> large in the past, its relative importance is decreasing.
>
> It seems to me that the FSF and the GNU GPL are far more important
> influences :-)
>
> Even so, I don't think that anyone has a "Linux" distribution that
> isn't compiled using the GNU toolchain. I suspect that some of the
> BSDs may have an alternative, but I haven't done any research on that
> point.

I had a bit of a discussion on that topic some time with deRaadt, who was at
the time trying to talk the Plan 9 people into releasing their compiler under
a more BSD-like/friendly license.  I mentioned the TenDRA compiler as being
perhaps what he had in mind, since it _is_ available under the BSD license,
and he got irate and asked if I thought he was an ignoramus or words to that
effect. ;)

After that, I figure that he's a team-working genius - anyone who can keep
such a diverse team together while being that touchy and irritable, clearly
knows what he's doing! ;)

Wesley Parish