[GNUz] “GNU”, “Linux”, or neither...?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:30:09 +1200

Philip Charles wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 19:54, Nick Rout wrote:
>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_neither
>
> The original article can be found here.
>
> www.upgrade-cepis.org/issues/2005/3/up6-3Amor.pdf

Great pointers, thanks guys. There's much to this.

1) Language. Quite commonly, "free software" is used referring to more
than just GNU. Makes me wonder, is there resentment that FSF appear to
attempt a monopoly of the term (regardless of if _we_ believe they do)?
Here, it puts the lie to the "libre" campaign to 'OSS'-strip out the
cost-free option guaranteed by Freedom 2 (free distribution), because
cost-free is (also) what is clearly meant under the "'GNU', 'Linux', or
neither...?" question, despite the sliding argument to the contrary.

Pointedly, the 'researchers' "have a go at Debian" - for its defence of
Freedom, no doubt?

2) http://libresoft.dat.escet.urjc.es/debian-counting/sarge/

As for the "SLOCCount Web for Debian Sarge.. [which] counts the number
of source lines of code (by definition a line ending in a newline or
end-of-file marker, and which contains at least one non-whitespace
non-comment character)..", why should anyone respect monetising
ideologues like this, when they completely fail to respect the 'value'
of program documentation / 'comment'? Who'd work with them thus?

The telling phrase is "division by <i>value</i>", for seeing where the
rebranding drive is taking us.

"..The fairest term for what we like about “GNU/Linux” is probably
neither 'GNU' nor 'Linux', but rather just the “Free Software Operating
System". - Almost fair, but 'a Freenix' O/S better (adds BSD). But best
of all is the organically grown 'FOSS', which Wheeler's line sets out to
attack - poorly.

"Free software operating systems are made valuable principally by the
contribution of individual developers." - True. But will 'valuable' ever
translate into cash payment?..

<obligatory spleen rant>

No, it's gloves off with the "libre" tOSSers, from now on. Especially
the "Linux Australia" imperialist breed :) Complete enemies of Freedom,
in word and deed - especially by any bogus 'Freedom Day' brand grab /
expropriation? Because they can't keep their ignorant mitts off
(cost-)Freedom? Selfish b*stards? Pirates have always worked that way.

Repeat: "Libre" has been introduced into English specifically to destroy
"Free" (as in Freedom) terminologically, for the self-defeating
introduction of a yuppy charge-per-codeline. - Not wanted here thanks,
by GNUz definition; *Not_at_all*!

</obligatory spleen rant>

For this learner, accepting how immense and diverse the FOSS field is
explains much of the great contention encountered: there are many
'valid' interpretations that serve mostly to confuse when they differ.

Recognising that "peace shall not reign", under F/loss, does deliver a
kind of peace tho.

Will pick up from Jim's point next..

Cheers
--