[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:07:44 +1200

Thanks Tim. Good one. :)

Timothy Musson wrote:

>> http://www.infohelp.co.nz/fsanz-constitution.html
>
> I have a couple of questions/concerns about the "Objects" section.
>
>   "The club shall maintain and encourage affiliation to the Free
>    Software Foundation (FSF), of Boston, USA."
>
> We aren't affiliated, and I'm not sure we should be. I think we're too
> small a group, with too little understanding of the FSF and Free
> Software philosophy, to be anything official.
> Maybe in the future... :^)

Well, we aren't affiliated _yet_, but I'd see this as the first step in
"putting $ where :O is". And you're the only paid up member I've ever
encountered, so you're likely to value this differently. Me, I can't
afford to commit to it just now, but I can commit the time to see
whether we have a group willing to commit to a collective sub. Then I
too would be amongst those convinced to consider an individual sub, once
conditions allowed.

"We" are a mail-list, of 36 members currently - Hi all o/ (rudimentary
hand-wave :) - so should a subset of this group, with or without
external additions, wish to set up an autonomous and duly constituted
body, it is both large enough and valid in process. Said body then has
due authority, on Jim's sufferance, to commandeer this list as its
primary communications channel - in realising GNUhood. Which does not
prevent the GNUz channel from being similarly utilised by any similarly
related project. But correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the understanding, it seems we're well under way now, with no
local, national, or regional competition in this field - so why not
strive to comply with official (FSF-recognised) status? What better
instructor could there be than such a process?

Looking outside, "the future" is now. It is time to move into it, with
all the urgency that quality software impels.

>   "The club shall facilitate contribution to the FSF GNU Project"
>
> What kind of contribution? Why the GNU Project in particular?

When someone meets us and says: "What can I do to help?"

We'd ask: "Are you a programmer?"

Hearing "Yes", our answer would be: http://savannah.gnu.org

This I see as the greatest practical, non-financial support we can be to
the FSF right now.

> If you mean financial contribution, it doesn't need much facilitation:
> you can buy gear from the FSF online, join their associate membership
> program, or make a plain donation.

Agreed.

>   "The club shall aid united development of the Free and Open-Source
>    Software movements, internationally."
>
> I don't particularly want to aid the development of the Open Source
> movement. ;^)

Me neither, but they exist, are bigger than us, and as our co-breathing,
living environment, cannot be ignored. So why not chart a positive and
mutually supportive course? - A clear and non-aggressive statement of
position, to remove any doubt. It's last on our list, but probably the
most significant aspect to FSA/GNU group existence that we must deal
with - somehow, sometime.

Yet keep the questions coming, until you are satisfied, please. :)

hth & cheers,
--
Rik