[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Don Gould gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:55:59 +1300

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your non-judgmental, frank response. :)

Some follow up questions and a thought for you :)

Timothy Musson wrote:
> I'm not sure whether you're asking what I do personally, or what one can
> do in general. Anyway, the things I do are all very basic.

Yes.  I did mean you personally.

> *) I've been supporting the FSF[1] with a monthly donation since June
>    2003.

What does FSF do to promote or enhance its values in New Zealand?

> *) This February, I wrote a submission to the Commerce Committee
>    opposing parts of the Copyright Amendment Bill that discriminate
>    against and Free Software.

Did you find that worth while?

What are you planning to do to follow this up?  Do you have a plan?

Is your submission in the public light?

Are you a member of NZOSS?

> *) When I write software, I release it under the GPL. It's just a hobby
>    though. I'm a pretty crappy programmer.

What have you written?  Is your work in the public light?

> I've also contributed bug
>    fixes and artwork to the GNOME Project (especially gnome-games),
>    though not recently.

What is your interest in games?

Why have you not done any recently?  Lost interest?  To busy?

> *) I maintain computers running Debian GNU/Linux for 3 other family
>    members.

When you say 'maintain', what do you mean?  Derek Smithies raised a very
good point this past week, choosing Linux can result in a great deal of
support and a lot less productivity.

> *) I occasionally write to journalists and hardware manufacturers about
>    Free Software issues.

Who?  Why?  Why?

Do you have a campaign that you're working to?

> *) I don't buy stuff (music, software, hardware, whatever) from
>    companies that're hostile towards Free Software. Better to buy
>    second-hand, if you need that stuff at all, and send a note to the
>    manufactuerer explaining what you've done and why.

Do you put these communications in to the public light?

> *) I've signed up with Defective by Design[3] and Bad Vista[4].
>    (Tagging products on Amazon.com as "defectivebydesign" is kinda fun! :^)

Why do you see value in this?  Do you, or have you, ever watched West
Wing?  (It's a TV show.)

Do you find or feel that the negative dynamic delivers results?

> *) I helped out on the most recent Software Freedom Day.

How much impact do you think SFD has had?  Is that important to you?

There is "no CLUG", in my view, because CLUG and GNUZ are what we make
of them.

In answering my question with your details you have in fact framed both
CLUG and GNUZ.

Does this make sense?

Cheers Don
--