[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:33:46 +1300

Don Gould wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> How do you use and promote software in the community?

Hi Don,

I'm not sure whether you're asking what I do personally, or what one can
do in general. Anyway, the things I do are all very basic.

*) I've been supporting the FSF[1] with a monthly donation since June
   2003. I'd join the EFF[2] as well, if I wasn't a poor student :^)

*) This February, I wrote a submission to the Commerce Committee
   opposing parts of the Copyright Amendment Bill that discriminate
   against and Free Software.

*) When I write software, I release it under the GPL. It's just a hobby
   though. I'm a pretty crappy programmer. I've also contributed bug
   fixes and artwork to the GNOME Project (especially gnome-games),
   though not recently.

*) I maintain computers running Debian GNU/Linux for 3 other family
   members.

*) I occasionally write to journalists and hardware manufacturers about
   Free Software issues.

*) I don't buy stuff (music, software, hardware, whatever) from
   companies that're hostile towards Free Software. Better to buy
   second-hand, if you need that stuff at all, and send a note to the
   manufactuerer explaining what you've done and why.

*) I've signed up with Defective by Design[3] and Bad Vista[4].
   (Tagging products on Amazon.com as "defectivebydesign" is kinda fun! :^)

*) I helped out on the most recent Software Freedom Day.

[1] http://www.fsf.org/associate
[2] http://www.eff.org/
[3] http://www.defectivebydesign.org/
[4] http://www.badvista.org/