[GNUz] FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0

gnuz@inode.co.nz gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:51:26 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:43:11PM +1300, Rik Tindall wrote:
>> Nick Rout wrote:
>> >>
>> >a good number of things in my house depend on binary firmwares: ather=
os
>> >wireless card, Hauppauge hardware mpeg Tv encoder, USB midi port to
>> >name a few. Admirable though this distro is, I can't see it being tha=
>> >practical for someone who has that sort of need.
>>
>> And why should it be so?
>>
>> For sophisticated technical functions, one would stick with 'some othe=
>> O/S', and 'some other mailing list' / base. This list and its interest=
>> reflect simpler aims.
>
> Agreed; I like the idea of an aggressively free OS. I thought that
> Ubuntu was going to be Free, and Free forever, but it looks like it'll
> settle for "free" instead, and pander to the "new hardware" people
> instead.
>
> But once you stop using your computer as a toy, and start using it as a
> tool instead, you stop spending money on the latest gadgets. At which
> point the lack of support for certain hardware becomes irrelevant, and
> Freedom can become important.

Oh I thoroughly agree, in fact I wasn't panning the release, merely said
"I can't see it being that practical for someone *who has that sort of
need*."

The longer I have a computer the stronger I feel about the Freedom thing.
Needs must for some uses (as discussed), but where there is a choice,
Freedom wins every time.

> Perhaps it's just an age thing ... :-|

We'll be on a park bench with our Free distros while the other old farts
are kicking their Vista 2010 boxes and asking why they can't run anything
any more...