[GNUz] FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 02:59:33 +0000

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:43:11PM +1300, Rik Tindall wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
> >>
> >a good number of things in my house depend on binary firmwares: atheros
> >wireless card, Hauppauge hardware mpeg Tv encoder, USB midi port to
> >name a few. Admirable though this distro is, I can't see it being that
> >practical for someone who has that sort of need.
>
> And why should it be so?
>
> For sophisticated technical functions, one would stick with 'some other
> O/S', and 'some other mailing list' / base. This list and its interests
> reflect simpler aims.

Agreed; I like the idea of an aggressively free OS. I thought that
Ubuntu was going to be Free, and Free forever, but it looks like it'll
settle for "free" instead, and pander to the "new hardware" people
instead.

But once you stop using your computer as a toy, and start using it as a
tool instead, you stop spending money on the latest gadgets. At which
point the lack of support for certain hardware becomes irrelevant, and
Freedom can become important.

Perhaps it's just an age thing ... :-|

-jim