[GNUz] [Fwd: [SFD-TC] Fwd: Tshirts and balloons sent!]

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:01:14 +1200

Kia ora Pia, SFD, GNUz,

We already run at a LOSS each year, in hosting this local event. We
can't accept people adding to it uninvited, in an unorganised manner. So
if that's a LOSS as in 'no free T-shirts this year', then it's a 'sorry,
no thanks.'

SFD advertised these Ts at AUD$20 each - $15 with team discount. We
ordered seven ($105), and got charged USD$. I've raised this on the two
forum/mail-lists available, with no reply as yet. Paypal billed us
AUD$136.82, which my credit card company then converted into NZD$167.21.
So none of our nine Ts are yet 'free'.

In our country, there's a law against this - called 'misleading
advertising' - under which we're due a refund of (at least) AUD$31.82.
But you can happily keep this, if we get two extra Ts (mM & mL would do)
in our kit - that makes eleven SFD T-shirts our team is due. We are not
happy in wearing this as an increased LOSS.

> Subject:
> Tshirts and balloons sent!
> From:
> Pia Waugh <greebo@pipka.org>
> Date:
> Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:47:17 +1000
>
> To:
> SFD Team Contacts <team-contacts@sf-day.org>
>
> You can find posters, artwork, press releases and more on the website. We
> suggest you print out little single-page information sheets with some
> basic
> information about Software Freedom Day and also about your local FLOSS
> organisations and community. The day isn't just about spreading the
> word of
> Software Freedom, it is also about growing your local communities, and
> gaining support for FLOSS.
>

> -- Linux Australia http://linux.org.au/ Software Freedom Day
> http://softwarefreedomday.org/

Our SFD is run as a FOSS promotion, quoting "Free and Open Source
Software" from page 1 of http://www.softwarefreedomday.org &
http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu - "Ubuntu is Free Software.. available..
free of charge. It's also Free in the sense of giving you rights of
Software Freedom".

- The reason being that this gives us the greatest ability to keep
commercial exploitation of community code at a long arm's length,
unpleasant as that is. FOSS is a clear and uncompromising statement of
community-owned value. Neither will ever be abandoned in Christchurch.

pp SFD team Christchurch,

The imposition of fLOSS is utterly rejected