[GNUz] [Fwd: [IP] TAIPEI'S CITY-WIDE WI-FI PASSES TEST]

Don Gould gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:35:48 +1200

Don Gould wrote:
> I can understand your issue thou, history has shown in New Zealand that
> people can't be trusted as far as you can throw them in the community area.

Further to what I wrote before....

There are some that are suggesting that faster better internet access
delivery should become a role of the local counils....

Well I have a number of comments...

I talked with CDC a number of years back and was told that the council
were devided over loyalty to the Telstra Clear investment in Chc.

As a result we haven't seen much from them...

They currently have a submission in to the BBC for funding for a fibre
project.  I followed that project up and can tell you that they haven't
even decided on a platfrom as yet.  My projection on that one is that
you won't see anything in chch for many years.

But can councils be trusted either?

In NZ we have a history of local authorities building power systems,
hading over ownership to users only to see users sell those rights to a
company, have the company then up the delivery price, make millions on
the assets and not upgrade the networks. (I may be being a little
unfair, but that's my basic understanding).  We then stand round and
complain?  What's with that?!

As a nation we owned a perfectly good telephone company once, we then
sold it to the US, and now we're 23 in the OECD for internet access.
Seems the public can't be trusted either.

I like Richard Naylors approach.  Tell people what you're thinking of
doing, then go do it while everyone sits round and debates if it can be
done, should be done and who should do it.  Thou he's a bit of a worry
as well...  his biggest project to date is now 96% owned by a guy who's
son I went to school with.... there are people in goverenment that are a
bit worried about this fact given that most of Wellingtons
communications systems now run on said project.

Cheers Don

--
Don Gould
www.thinkdesignprint.co.nz - www.tcn.bowenvale.co.nz -