[GNUz] re: FreeBSD install

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 30 May 2006 16:45:43 +1200

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:54:59 +1200
bossman wrote:

> 1. Getting other OSes to run.....
>
>    even tried to reinstall grub via install disk of ubuntu/Kubuntu no joy.

The paproach that I have used, and which worked, was to have grub boot
all the oses, in other words grub on the mbr

the magic for a frebsd boot from grub is:

title FreeBSD
        root (hd0,2,a)
        kernel /boot/loader

remember that freebsd takes what we normally think of as a "partition" -
eg (hd0,2) and prtitions that up, so thats why you get a triplet to
describe the partiton in grub, ie the a in (hd0,2,a) is the first BSD
partition, which is in the third "normal" partition (hd0,2)

Within that "partition" the path to the "kernel" is /boot/loader (Ok it
is not the kernel, but it is loadable like a kernel and takes over from
that point.

If you are having trouble getting into your linux system you may need to
boot off a grub floppy, or boot off a linux live cd and chroot to the
linux partition. Once in the linux system then run grub manually from
there to re-embed it on the mbr. The invocation is something like:

grub (which gets the grub prompt)
grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>