[GNUz] wireless hooray!

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 17 May 2006 22:36:18 +1200

On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:15:10 +1200
Rik Tindall <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:

> >Do you want to see voyage at one of your meetings? debian wireless AP
> >out of the box.
> >

> How will we put it online? If it's ADSL, then St Albans would be the
> better venue.

It has an ethernet interface as the outside world and NAT's between
that and the wireless side. I assume you have a box capable of
connecting to the net via dialup on one interface and natting that to
ethernet on the other side? Then we can just daisy chain them:

internet<->[dialup<->ethernet]<->[ethernet-wireless]<->clients
                your setup            voyage

> I have the 53MB iso too - can we buy small CDs for that, or does it mean
> wasting the other 600MB of a standard CD?

I am not sure what the iso has on it. I used the 20MB tar download. You
untar it and run a setup script. the setup script puts the distro onto
a hard drive or compact flash. You then put the CF or HD into the
machine that will be your AP and boot it. I am not sure how the iso
compares to that. i shall investigate and see.

As far as wasting a CD is concerned, its a <$1.00 item.