[GNUz] wireless hooray!

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 17 May 2006 20:15:10 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:02:30 +1200
>Rik Tindall <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Ubuntu-to-Ubuntu wireless link is now working.
>>Via hostap, & ndiswrapper (Broadcom 802.11b) on the client.
>>

>The Broadcom is now supported in the kernel I believe, although I would
>need more details to confirm.

Hey yeah:
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de

WinXP offered little unit detail, but googling howto wrap worked out fine.

Just shows the value of keeping on upgrading your distro/s. Real feature
gains. No wonder the kernel gets so big though.

>I assume you mean you have set up one machine as an access point using
>hostap and connected using the other machine, which has a broadcom
>running via ndiswrapper?
>
>on the hostap machine, what is the wireless card?

Yes (+ADSL/dialup).
Prism 2.5 (apparently the only chipset that GNU/LINUX can do this with,
says Neil).
Orinoco_pci driver was used before hostap_pci replaced it.

>Do you want to see voyage at one of your meetings? debian wireless AP
>out of the box.

How will we put it online? If it's ADSL, then St Albans would be the
better venue.
I have the 53MB iso too - can we buy small CDs for that, or does it mean
wasting the other 600MB of a standard CD?

Cheers, Rik