[GNUz] [Fwd: FreeBSD 6.1 Released]

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 11 May 2006 12:23:31 +1200

Cheers Nick,

Nick Rout wrote:

>hostap has been available on linux systems for donkeys years. There are
>distros like pebble (now perhaps deprecated) or the more modern voyage
>(thanks Steve) that run it out of the box.

Would like to try that too then - wireless specific distros.

> I have had an old laptop
>running as an access point for at least 3 if not 4 years (how do you
>tell when a distro was installed on a box?).

check the date on config files and dirs written at install time.

>There is no real magic in this, except choosing a wireless card that
>supports hostap. There are plenty of "How to build an access point from
>linux/BSD" howtos on the web.

Desktop distros may be moving towards offering it too / by default. We
had to fetch the tar file, and it was a newer version from the
development site than was available in the Ubuntu source tree.

Thanks,

--
Rik