Kernel versioning WAS [GNUz] [Fwd: FreeBSD 6.1 Released]

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 11 May 2006 12:28:22 +1200

On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:10:04 +1200
Nick Rout wrote:

> hostap has been available on linux systems for donkeys years.

Hey I have a neat tool for you: makes it easy to see the history of
kernel stuff.

Go to http://www.kernelhq.cc/

Click "History"

Click through the directories to the file you want to study, in our case
drivers/net/wirelss/hostap, then click on a file name like hostap.c. You will then get a little + symbol with 2 written next to it. Drill down
to 2.6 and you will see that there are versions of the file for 2.6.14
and 2.6.15. Therefore it started life in the kernel at 2.6.14. [1]. You
can choose two versions and get a diff between them. V.cool.

[1] Of course it was available for several years before that as a
separate module

Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>