[GNUz] [Fwd: FreeBSD 6.1 Released]

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 11 May 2006 12:10:04 +1200

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:57:14 +1200
Rik Tindall wrote:

> On the Ubuntu/Debian LNX side, we got the AP-router-in connection
> running Tuesday night, and are now working on hostap that can use the
> same hardware to serve up connections to any wireless-enabled box within
> range - even to WinXX appararently. As in hotspot capability. This
> feature is in the 2.6.14? kernel upwards, so Ubuntu 6.06 will be very
> welcome next month.
>
> My query was to obtain FreeBSD 6.1 soon too, because it also now has
> hostap funtionality.
>
> Both must be less complicated than the module compilation and debugging
> we are almost finished doing now (no IRQ = no eth0; workshop at Don's
> today). But getting familiar with all these tools is skilling up Don's
> project buddies, so let's make a time to explore FreeBSD further too.

hostap has been available on linux systems for donkeys years. There are
distros like pebble (now perhaps deprecated) or the more modern voyage
(thanks Steve) that run it out of the box. I have had an old laptop
running as an access point for at least 3 if not 4 years (how do you
tell when a distro was installed on a box?).

There is no real magic in this, except choosing a wireless card that
supports hostap. There are plenty of "How to build an access point from
linux/BSD" howtos on the web.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>