[GNUz] [Fwd: FreeBSD 6.1 Released]

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 11 May 2006 11:57:14 +1200

Dale DuRose wrote:

>> The mission is to get dialup ppp shared wirelessly for Sydenham
>> (though we'll keep trying for broadband wireless in, long term). So
>> once we get a LNX &/or BSD solution running, refined installs like
>> this will be worth a look too.
>
> Well i know how to nat a ppp connect on freebsd
>
> and
>
> setup DHCP
>
> The next step is to just understand freebsd ifconfig options for wifi
> card more in full.

Cool. Plain connection is a start. We should make a time to tweak the
system into shape.

On the Ubuntu/Debian LNX side, we got the AP-router-in connection
running Tuesday night, and are now working on hostap that can use the
same hardware to serve up connections to any wireless-enabled box within
range - even to WinXX appararently. As in hotspot capability. This
feature is in the 2.6.14? kernel upwards, so Ubuntu 6.06 will be very
welcome next month.

My query was to obtain FreeBSD 6.1 soon too, because it also now has
hostap funtionality.

Both must be less complicated than the module compilation and debugging
we are almost finished doing now (no IRQ = no eth0; workshop at Don's
today). But getting familiar with all these tools is skilling up Don's
project buddies, so let's make a time to explore FreeBSD further too.

Cheers,