[GNUz] Isn't Clark Connect non-Free?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 20:04:53 +1200

Hi Tim,

Timothy Musson wrote:
> I'm surprised that their site says next to nothing about licensing, as
> far as I can see. There's a tiny mention[1] of the GPL on their FAQ
> list, but it's too vaguely worded to mean anything. It looks like the
> only way to find out whether they have a totally free (libre) version is
> to see what licenses are included with the actual download.

Viewing source is no less obscure:

"Source code is available for download. You can find the source code in
the sources directory for each version. To save disk space, only
differences from the previous version are included.  In other words, the
source code for your version might be located in an earlier version" [1]

Given the RedHat componentry inbuilt (SELinux, RPM, Anaconda,..) the
licensing could well be as complicated as it is made to appear. This
reads correct nonetheless:

"Most Open Source Software (OSS) is licensed under the GNU General
Public License (GPL). ClarkConnect is no different in this respect in
that our source code is freely accessible to anyone. However, one of the
biggest misconceptions of the GPL and term 'free software' is that the
word free means no charge. This is not true..."[2]

[1] http://www.clarkconnect.com/downloads/
[2] http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/faq.php#oss

> Maybe I oughta pester 'em to add a new Q to their FA list :)
>
> [1] http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/faq.php#oss
>
> Nick Rout, 2006-04-07 16:07:16:
>
>>My recollection is some is free and some is not.
>>ie a basic free version and a useful expensive version
>
>>On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:46:44 +1200 Timothy Musson wrote:
>>
>>><http://www.clarkconnect.com/>. Is that the right one? If so, isn't
>>>their software non-Free?
>
> Tim

So where we are now is to match CC's functionality - for Don's project
purposes - with Free and/or Open alternatives. At present we're likely
to compare FreeBSD first off, and, as the project requirements become
clearer, explore other distros too.

The workshops are to close the gap between need (skills + spec) and
expertise (choice), which does seem to be happening.

Hoping to see you guys there sometime too :)
--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz> on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.10 free OS, 2.6.12-9-686 kernel, GNOME 2.12.1 desktop