[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:14:16 +1300

Hi Andrew. Thanks for these..

Andrew Turner wrote:

>> gdm/Gnome - but only as root so far
>
> Did you add gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf ?

I have now, rebooted, but still "$... gdm-binary: Only root wants to run
gdm"

> What video card do you have?

It's a Dell OptiPlex GX110 slimline , with onboard:

& http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#AUDIO
Intel 810 integrated sound devices ( pcm(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pcm&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-RELEASE>
driver)

Intel 810 chipset includes the video description irrc, + genericy applies:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-i386.html#MISC
"VGA-compatible video cards ( vga(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vga&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-RELEASE>
driver)

    *Note:* Information regarding specific video cards and compatibility
    with *Xorg* can be found at http://www.x.org/."

> Have you been through the relevant part of the handbook?
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

Doing so now..

> What version of FreeBSD is it?

5.4-release

> There have been major changes between FreeBSD 4 and 5.

I note that 6.0 is RC1 now :-)

Cheers, Rik

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop