[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:22:24 +1300

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:14:16 +1300
Richard Tindall wrote:

> >> gdm/Gnome - but only as root so far
> >
> > Did you add gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf ?
>
> I have now, rebooted, but still "$... gdm-binary: Only root wants to run
> gdm"

IIRC gdm should run as root, as it is arbitrating logins to the system
from any number of different users.

Is xdm working? This page tells you how to set up xdm and the following
page (hint, the link that says "Next") tells you how to get it to use
gdm instead of xdm.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

The second page also tells you how to run gnome directly, without a
display manager, which may be perfectly acceptable for you on a single
user system.
--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>