[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Andrew Turner gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:21:27 +1300

Richard Tindall wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>>

>> I imagine you are using XFree or xorg, the setup for X should be the
>> same as linux. The exception might be if you have a card that relies on
>> a kernel module, as you are obviously using a different kernel.
>>
> Thanks Nick. A first impression is that because BSD is not Linux, one
> has cause to go about things somewhat differently and so learn a bit
> more about how Linux actually works (automagically) - laterally.
>
> I added the Xorg packages before session shutdown, & should have more
> to work with next boot. A change to find it not there by default (yet
> startx still ran [xfm?], & gdm/Gnome - but only as root so far).

Did you add gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf ?

> The good news is that the FreeBSD is online (via Ubuntu gateway) quite
> easily (/usr/sbin/sysinstall does heaps incl network & packages simply
> & solidly). I would have posted from FreeBSD last night, but the
> Evolution setup wizard had its buttons hidden offscreen in 640x480
> mode, & so I gave up after losing my config input twice. :-P

What video card do you have? Have you been through the relevant part of
the handbook?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

> Thanks Steve for the CDs.

What version of FreeBSD is it? There have been major changes between
FreeBSD 4 and 5.

Andrew