[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:50:51 +1300

Nick Rout wrote:

>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
>I imagine you are using XFree or xorg, the setup for X should be the
>same as linux. The exception might be if you have a card that relies on
>a kernel module, as you are obviously using a different kernel.

Thanks Nick. A first impression is that because BSD is not Linux, one
has cause to go about things somewhat differently and so learn a bit
more about how Linux actually works (automagically) - laterally.

I added the Xorg packages before session shutdown, & should have more to
work with next boot. A change to find it not there by default (yet
startx still ran [xfm?], & gdm/Gnome - but only as root so far).

The good news is that the FreeBSD is online (via Ubuntu gateway) quite
easily (/usr/sbin/sysinstall does heaps incl network & packages simply &
solidly). I would have posted from FreeBSD last night, but the Evolution
setup wizard had its buttons hidden offscreen in 640x480 mode, & so I
gave up after losing my config input twice. :-P

Thanks Steve for the CDs.

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop