[GNUz] Fwd: Academics Discuss MS vs. OSS

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:14:03 +1200

Jim Cheetham wrote:

>I hope you're not misunderstanding - I wasn't intending hosting the DNS
>data for your domain (although I *could*), but was just seeing if you
>could add an entry _to the data_ that is provided by your existing servers.

Contacting my ISP for details & changes to InfoHelp would be more
time-consuming (for me) than this idea. I don't know the intricacies of
how my ISP would handle (or charge for) a wiki sub-domain / an extra IP
on IH.

>However, if that's not possible, I could host your entire DNS. If the
>domain is currently running anything I'd need to see the old config (or
>at least know what's supposed to happen for www and smtp) but if not, we
>can just set it up from scratch on
>"ns0.easyweb.co.nz","ns0.ourshack,com" and "ns1.easyweb.co.nz"

Presently hackstop.org is simply a pointer from my ISPs DNSs to IH, so
there's nothing to transfer over - no config at all. I'll simply put
those entries in as you suggest with the domain registrar in the US
(register.com), and we should be able to start working with it. I should
notify my ISP thereafter of the change, I take it.

There is no big plan for the hackstop.org domain, beyond what we are
doing. I've bought it as a FOSS community contribution - an umbrella
under which people can do whatever (FOSS security) work they like, such
as (& maybe only ever) a wiki.

All the info I have up for it so far is:
http://www.infohelp.co.nz/hackstop.html

It's a FOSS community project title, much the same as GLU. So we might
as well host GLU straight on top of it, and start drafting ideas.

If people wanted to have email addresses (etc) in future, that would
depend on your good favour.

Thanks for the assistance Jim,

Rik