[GNUz] Fwd: Academics Discuss MS vs. OSS

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:53:30 +1200

Ok, I've got the drift of Zane & Nick's question better now.

It is hard not to feel pressured by 'random Inbox' at times, sorry.

Nick Rout wrote:

>My reading of your earlier post was that you preferred not to use the
>CLUG wiki because the license was CC instead of GFDL, which in turn
>implies some criticism (or at least a preference of sufficient magnitude
>to influence a decision about publishing something).

My preference comes last, after absence of choice. Offlist conference
with Jim - when he was polling us all re List wiki licensing - left my
understanding here:

'Material published on a CC license may be dual-published on any other
license, except the GFDL.'

I'm sure this is very clear. So, if I wish to write documents shareable
for two or more locations and use the GFDL, then the CLUG Wiki is
excluded to me as one of them. It's a choice I've had to make - to write
for the Wiki, or on GFDL.

This does happen to be consistent with my logical preference, however -
to not work in support of the myth that "Linux" accurately brands the
flagship of Unix community continuity, which is better attributed and
united as GNU/Linux.

>So my question was, what do you see as lacking in the CC license? Its a
>simple question, this list is about such issues after all. Although IAAL
>I am no expert in licensing and could gain from some discussion of the
>issues.

How the above license choice situation arose - when L.Lessig & RMS are
obviously in such close consultation around CC - I can only guess.
Perhaps it's RMS's way of encouraging people to choose the GFDL.

I am comfortable in continuing to use the GFDL: simply functional, and
no situation of needing to test it in court is easily envisaged. After
all, the content has been released - Free. To me, it's the content of
helpful ideas that needs liberalised distribution for testing
(prove-adopt/drop), whereas title & profit are less than secondary concerns.

hth, Rik

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop