[GNUz] Fwd: Academics Discuss MS vs. OSS

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:49:37 +1200

FWIW, I would say that within ten years Microsoft will be hanging on by the
skin of its teeth due to the DotNET development tools, and the dimwits it's
intimidated into paying for its fraudulent software patents.

Installed base isn't everything - see how fast CP/M's install base withered
away once MS DOS' own installed base got to a certain size.  Or how fast MS
WinNT took the workstation marketplace from the Unixen.

At the moment everybody's attention's fixed on the North American market,
because as of the present moment, it's still the largest market.  But F/LOSS
attracts a lot of attention from the developing world, and they are now
getting slowly but surely into gear.  And America's shrinking.

After a while the question won't be if but when.

I have spoken! <;^)

Wesley Parish

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:02, Ralph Stoker wrote:
> Check out this article from the Harvard Business School...
>
> http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=4834&t=technology
>
> Some interesting (surprising?) outcomes..
>
> Ralph
>
> Ps. Never really liked those Swiss gnomes..LOL

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?